Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Constructing Identity through Photographs

Today's photography assignment was "A Sense of Self", which proved to be more difficult than I had anticipated. I challenged myself to go beyond awkward selfie photos in the bathroom mirror and try to photograph more symbolic reflections of my identity. Ultimately, I believe the effort to capture identity in a photograph is an underlying theme in all photography, whether it is conscious or not. Individuals are always capturing themselves, their friends, their family, their surroundings and so forth, in order to share them with others or keep that memory for themselves. It always goes back to the individual taking the photograph and the story they wish to tell, which in itself is an indicator of who they are. The evolution of photography has grown at an impressive rate with new technology and styles constantly being created to allow more personal styles to be expressed. This particular photograph was taken at the Musee d'Orsay, and I thought it was a lovely indicator of how I wanted to capture myself in that one moment of time.

No comments:

Post a Comment