Friday, November 23, 2012

Journeys, Physical and Psychological


     What an unbelievable 24 hours. This is something that goes beyond the limitations of a writing assignment; I wish I could express this experience in more than words. This is often how traveling experiences go as I struggle to show people through my photographs and messages how much each moment has the potential to change my perspective and who I am as an individual. I am so fortunate to have had the opportunity to study abroad in Australia and do some traveling through Southeast Asia, which has taught me two very important lessons: prepare to pay the consequences if you do not pack lightly, and try not to have any expectations.
     I have been particularly looking forward to this journey to Paris and London as I knew I would be able to meet up with some amazing friends I made in Australia while simultaneously taking a great photography course. I was honestly a bit nervous because so much time has passed since I have seen them, but it was absolutely incredible how natural the entire situation was and how completely at ease I was in their company again. We had each come a long way from our time in Australia and I have personally felt that that was an entirely different life experienced by someone else. Yet, I felt strangely at home with them, but also had a hard time believing it was not a dream.
     One of my biggest difficulties when traveling is actually fully feeling like I am living in that moment. I am frustrated with the idea of not being mentally present or as fully appreciative as I could be in a once-in-a-lifetime moment. Luckily, I feel like I have really been embracing this trip to London and Paris. Despite a 12-hour journey via plane and a rugged 2 and a half hour journey navigating the tube, I was so keen to catch up with my friends and enjoy every possible moment. I believe this is actually a result of learning and maturation from previous travelling, which I am so grateful for. I was able to have an absolutely lovely time with my friends making dinner, chatting the night away, seeing the changing of the guards at Buckingham Palace, finally seeing Big Ben, the London Eye, and Trafalgar Square, while simultaneously taking ridiculous amounts of photographs to capture every moment. The typical tourist sites were awesome, but the best part for me was spending time with these people who mean so much to me. There is no doubt that I am obsessed with traveling as it reveals so much about who I am, good or bad, and I am able to grow in a psychological sense as I physically experience these incredible locations. I am looking forward to seeing what the rest of this journey brings.
This is one of a few hundred images taken in London during that first day. To view more of the photos from this day please visit: http://www.flickr.com/groups/2069577@N25/

No comments:

Post a Comment